Old Barn, Rectory Road, Edgefield
Grade II Listed Barn
Isolated rural location
Conversion and Extension of Grade II Listed Tythe Barn
The Tythe barn has rather an intriguing history as an outbuilding to the Old Rectory. The north part of the barn was used as a school between 1760 and 1825 before it was sold by the Diocese of Norwich. The client purchased the barn and outbuilding with the intention of creating a family home. The project involved the conversion of the Grade II Listed barn to residential as well as the adjoining former piggery outbuilding. Both the barn and piggery had been lying empty and were in a poor state of repair.
The conversion of the buildings has not resulted in any significant change to the footprint or overall size of either building. The barn has been linked to the piggery using a single storey pavilion. The outer flint walls of the piggery were retained with the addition of a new standing seam roof. The piggery now houses three bedrooms, bathrooms, sitting room, study, utility and entrance lobby. The barn remains full height with exposed timber frame. The principle of minimal intervention has been used on the historic fabric of the barn, the honeycomb air vents and original openings all being retained.
The style of the link and treatment of the piggery gives the extension a strong, bold and contemporary feel whilst the structure itself remains subservient to the original barn. The materials express the difference between new and old particularly well. The quality of the workmanship coupled with the treatment of the remodelled extension makes this an exemplary project. The scheme perfectly marries good conservation and new design principles.